Monday, October 29, 2012

My Second-Favorite Holiday

I love Christmas.  As a girl who loves happy endings and cheery stories, Christmas is the perfect time of year.  The lights, music, movies, and stories are all filled with hope.  I love giving and receiving gifts, and that is the biggest gift-giving holiday of the year.  And as a Christian I get to celebrate the birth of my savior.

But I love Halloween!

Part of it may be because my birthday is October 30th (nope, not telling you what year), so I have a birth connection to this time of year.  I have always loved spooky stories, though with a "Disneyfied" spin, such as Hocus Pocus or The Haunted Mansion.  No Friday The 13th or Paranormal Activity for this girl!  And I love dressing in costume.

For someone who loves wearing and making costumes, Halloween is the perfect holiday.  Other than a geeky, cosplaying girl like myself, this is a time when otherwise normal grown-ups can dress in the most outlandish outfits and be socially acceptable.  The kids get to look like their favorite character and beg for free candy while the adults get to hang out in equally fun costumes and admire each other.

Maybe that's why I've grown to love going to cons like Dragon*Con so much.  Halloween is only one day of the year.  When I'm at a con I'll wear 2 to 3 costumes, and sometimes have worn multiple ones in the same day.  For cosplayers, we get to enjoy the most fun parts of Halloween multiple times per year.  It's ironic that the same people that stare at us as we pass by on the streets during an event are likely the same ones who go to Halloween parties in costume.  I think they're just jealous!

I hope that everyone enjoys their Halloween events.  And remember, I'm always available to make something special for you for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment