Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Costume's Influence

As an actress (Drama minor in college and actively involved in community theater) I have always known how important a costume can be to a role.  You can rehearse and rehearse but you just can't seem to really get the part down until the first time you put on your costume.  Then the character really seems to leap out of you and it's easier to find the inspiration you need to carry the part.

Over the years I expanded into cosplay at conventions like Dragon*Con and ConNooga.  My family and I dress in costumes inspired by or copied from our favorite movies, books, and comic books, such as Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Firefly.  We have learned that a good costume results in many photos being taken of you, and a good pose really makes the picture better.  Being in costume lets you "feel" the character, and the poses come very naturally.

Now that I make costumes for other people, this principle is coming full-circle.  Since I know how much influence a costume can have for good or bad, I want to provide people with the best one possible.  Let's look at a couple of examples. 

Do you think this guy really felt like Iron Man?  Was he able to fully channel Tony Stark?


Now, take a look at this one (from our own personal photos at Dragon*Con in 2008).  Do you think he felt particularly heroic?


I certainly understand that some people make certain costumes for humorous purposes, deliberately making it look silly or bad.  But you know that those people feel that humor as they wear it and aren't fully portraying the character.  The man in the first photo is going to act differently than the one in the second simply because of the nature of the costume and how it makes him feel.

And don't ask for commission on Iron Man!  I do NOT work in vaccuform!

In 2010 I wore a Snow White costume I had made to Dragon*Con.  I have always dreamed of being a Disney princess, and my moment came true.  One little girl came up, excited to see me.  She said, "Do you remember seeing me at Disney World?"  My heart melted and I ate that up, of course replying that I did indeed remember her.  I know that I could make that costume better now, but it was convincing enough that a girl thought I actually worked at Disney.  I walked on a cloud the rest of the day and truly felt like Snow herself.

  Me and my daughter (also in a dress I made).

How do you think that little girl would have responded if I had been in a costume like this one?


Now please don't misunderstand my intentions.  I am certainly not a "costume snob" and really do appreciate the attempt that many people make.  I love seeing people do their best job at creating a character and realize that not everyone has the money to invest in complicated clothing or the skills to be a professional seamstress.  My point is that a the quality and type of costume you choose significantly influences your portrayal of that character.  If you're going for humor, it's great to have a cheap, silly costume.  But if you really, really want to recreate a specific character, it takes more than acting ability.  Your choice in costumes will make or break the role, no matter where you are doing it.

1 comment:

  1. So true. I feel totally different in something I made to be silly or cheap - or something that is not up to my personal standards.

    ReplyDelete