Friday, April 13, 2012

Hidden Treasures

Most people might think that a costumer's favorite place is a fabric and hobby store.  Okay, maybe that's a bit true (just ask my husband when he loses me for a couple of hours in Joann Fabrics).  But even better places can be found!

My favorite places to shop are thrift stores, garage sales, flea markets, and antique stores.  You will be amazed as the things you can find!  I've found trim, bolts of cloth, belts, and various other materials to use in my costumes.  And usually they are dirt-cheap!

Since most of my creations are costumes for plays and cosplay, as opposed to regular clothing, I have learned the art of "repurposing".  If you go to a flea market or similar place with an open mind, you'll be amazed at the things you can find and use.  Let's look at a few examples.


This dress was for the Apothecary in our recent production of Romeo and Juliet.  The play had a Pirates theme and this character was modeled after Tia Dalma in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.  The main material for the dress was actually a throw blanket I found at an antique store.  Even though it was made in the mid-1800s (seriously!), the blanket was moth-eaten and frayed so I got a really good price.  For a blanket it wasn't much good, but it had the perfect worn look I was trying for.  The fox head and necklace came from flea markets, and the satchel/pouch from Goodwill.


That's a really nice blue color in the dress, isn't it?  The material started out as curtains I bought at a yard sale.  Look at another example, a Renaissance dress.


The nice satiny embroidered material?  Curtains from a flea market.

I go to Goodwill at least once per week and hit yard sales and flea markets whenever I can.  Many times I don't have anything specific in mind, but am just searching for the "hidden treasures".  Sometimes I'll see something that looks nice, but I don't know what I would use it for.  I may buy it and set it aside for a day when it just might come in handy.  Sometimes a material will start my creative wheels turning, such as when I saw the curtains I used in my Renaissance dress.  And anytime I can get a good deal on fabric or other materials I'll snatch it up.  I love getting bargains, and when the profit margin is low in a small business every little bit helps.  My husband also loves it when I spend less money on the costumes for our own family, yet still make them look great.

So if anyone is looking to do their own costuming, don't stick to the fabric stores.  Look around at non-traditional places for good deals and learn to see beyond the surface into the "what could be".

2 comments: